Sunday, September 5, 2010

an afternoon in prescott park

Well blogging world, 

I'm back. 

Taking at least two weeks off from creative photography is not ideal. I'm devouring this wonderful new book called Visual Poetry by Chris Orwig, and he quotes photographer Richard Avedon, "If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up."

September is coming together nicely, and my work schedule has settled mostly into a normal routine. Having this three day weekend has been restful and is helping me focus on this upcoming fall. I'm looking forward to a handful of portrait sessions in September and two weddings in October. I'm so ready to get back into my weekend routines and to capture this beautiful fall in the making. 


I love photographers who give little snippets of their every day life. This is my favorite shirt that Josh owns. It's worn, faded to almost-lime-green in places, has holes in the elbows, and he has to roll the sleeves for it to fit. If he were ever to throw it away, I would probably cry, so it's not allowed. I love it's coziness, but the color really can't be beat. 

Everyone in the park was either relaxing, strolling amongst the gardens, or playing "Red Light, Green Light!"

 Being in Prescott Park in the summer always makes me think of my mom. I always wish I could just teleport her from northern Maine to Portsmouth at that moment, so she could enjoy the gardens as much as I do.

My new book also suggests becoming the subject for a little while. It helps put you in the client's shoes. Cameras can be so intimidating, especially when the lens is so large you can see yourself reflected in it...

I thought there might be some of you out there looking for some baby bump photos. 


This was taken right after Josh yelled from across the park, "Don't furrow your brow!"